In 1902, Indians discovered gold pockets in the Weepah area. Soon, 200 people had set
up a mining camp named Weepah (Shoshone for "rain water"). The discovery quickly died out, and the area sat idle for 25 years. After gold
was "rediscovered" in 1927, Weepah quickly grew into a town with the usual businesses including a post office and over a dozen mining
companies. Sixty wooden buildings dotted the area. The population quickly grew to just under 2000. By the end of 1927, most of the activity had died out. In 1934, an open-pit silver mine and a 350 ton mill were built. This operation lasted until 1938 when Weepah was finally abandoned. Sometime between our first visit to Weepah in 1977 and our second visit in 1981, Weepah's buildings were completely destroyed and the mine was blasted shut. The only indication that a town ever existed in this secluded area are the wood planks from the buildings that are buried about a foot deep. In 1997 we flew over the entire Weepah area to check for other buildings. Nothing remains of this once busy town.