NOTE**Rio Tinto is occupied**

Steve, Rob & Pat


no more classes   no roof on this school
The Front Of The Rio Tinto School                   This School Building Dominates The Site

Rio Tinto was established in 1931 after the discovery of a rich copper vein.  Constructed as a company town by the Mountain City Copper Company, Rio Tinto had tree line streets, rows of houses and apartments, a movie theater, a recreation center, and grammar and high school with an athletic field.  By 1933, Rio Tinto was Nevada's second largest copper district.  The copper deposit finally ran out in 1947.  Some residents still call Rio Tinto home.

Back To Main Page